The fraudulent practice of making phone calls or leaving voice messages purporting to be from reputable companies in order to induce individuals to reveal personal information, such as bank details and credit card numbers.“many victims of vishing are people who are not tech-savvy“
Please take the following measures to protect yourself from vishing attacks:
- If you see a missed call from an unknown number on your personal or professional device, do not call back. Your account could be charged if you return the call.
- Hang up if you hear no response after a few seconds of picking up the phone.
- Do not trust your caller ID. Be aware that even if your caller ID displays the phone number and/or name of a legitimate person or company, the call is not necessarily coming from that number.
- Never provide credit card information or other private information to anyone who calls you.
- If you receive a phone call and someone immediately asks, “Can you hear me?” hang up. This recent scam uses your recorded “yes” response to authorize purchases.